Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Deburring HS Skeleton

I spent a couple hours last night deburring the edges of the horizontal stabilizer skeleton. "Deburring" means removing sharp edges or chips on the edges of metal parts, including the holes I've drilled. These sharp points and chips are a place where stress can concentrate and eventually cause cracks in the metal. By removing those sharp points and chips, the stress spreads evenly across the whole part, reducing the chances of cracking. I've hear deburring is one of the most time-consuming tasks in building an RV, and I completely believe that at this point. ha! It's going to take quite a while to prep the skeleton and skins, making sure I've knocked down any burrs. But it's an important step in making a strong, quality airplane and that's what I'm going for. Deburring isn't all that exciting, so I didn't get any pictures of the work last night. I've got a couple more nights of deburring left before I can get on to dimpling the parts and then priming them. Hopefully will get a couple free night in the next few days to do that though...